25.6.08

bahia



So, after spending some time with the mix I was going to give you today, further tweaking and so on, I decided that I needed to scrap it altogether. Certain transitions were gorgeous while others felt clunky, and it was a bit too much of a mixture of different styles to really feel coherent to me. I've started working on a new one, though, and that one will be up this Sunday-- I promise.

Instead, today I'm letting a monster out-- "Bahia (Party Swing)," a track from the Bahia 12" by Italoboyz vs. John Coltrane. Taking a classic of Coltrane's, adding killer deep kicks, looping the most iconic piano section of the track, and transitioning between the original and their reworking with much psychedelic aplomb, Italoboyz have created a truly minimal house piece that could feel right at home next to slower Detroit jams or some of the other stuff from across the pond. A great record that all who enjoy house, but especially those who enjoy jazzy and raw, piano-driven house. Highly recommended! (And yes, it does sound a bit dirty, but that actually is pretty much the way the track sounds!).

Italoboyz vs. John Coltrane- Bahia (Party Swing)

Tomorrow, a slow-down.

No comments: